St Oswald's is a traditional Cheshire sandstone Church with parts dating back to approximately 1280 (Chancel).
It was enlarged and partly rebuilt in the late 15th / early 16th century when the tower was added.
A major restoration in 1878 has resulted in the church we now know.St Oswald's is home to what is believed to be the last medieval aumbry in Wirral as well as a rare Frampton mural above the nave.
The older records for the Church are held at the Chester Records Office. One of the parishioners has taken an interest in the graveyard and has updated the plans. This may be made available to anyone interested in family history.
There is also a book available about the history of the Church written by John Peter Hess. We would like to acknowledge his work for the information researched and formulated into this book - A History of St. Oswald's Church in the Parish of Backford, Cheshire (ISBN 0-9530409-1-7), which can be purchased through any major book retailer.